The Eugene Family YMCA has a deep history in Eugene reaching back 132 years. Aside from the University of Oregon, the Y is the longest running institution in Lane County. It is time to honor our past and create the foundation for our future with a new YMCA building.
The new YMCA at 24th and Hilyard will add nearly 21,000 square feet of usable, flexible space when compared to the footprint of 48,000 square feet at the current Patterson Street facility. Our 2055 Patterson Street facility has served our community very well, but it is at capacity with almost 9,000 members and 34 parking spots. It was designed and built to serve a 1950’s community with a population of 70,000 people. Now that our population has tripled and diversified (and now that we have spread out geographically), we must build a Y that can serve the Eugene of the 21st century.
Our current facility is also not fully ADA accessible and its spaces do not allow for the flexible programming needs required to serve the complexity of our current community.
Hallmarks of the new YMCA at 24th & Hilyard Y include:
• A flexible floor plan with an array of large wellness and exercise rooms providing more than double the space for an expanding membership with a broader range of abilities
•A multi-generational activity center designed for academic tutoring, socializing, classes, and community events that would benefit all age groups and backgrounds
• A 6-lane lap pool plus a nearly 40' x 40' square recreational pool in the indoor aquatic center that will allow multiple concurrent activities to keep traditional programming intact as we expand our services to address preventative and rehabilitative health care needs
• Y preschool classrooms designed to give our youngest community members the social and academic foundation they need to enter school ready to learn, with life skills like swim safety
• Ample, convenient parking — for cars and bikes (200+ for cars, 80+ for bikes)
• A gymnasium space, not only for basketball, but for life sports including volleyball, pickleball and more
With the support of generous donors, we will construct a 70,000-square foot facility allowing us to serve twice as many members and generate the revenue we need to subsidize critical, evidence-based health and education programs throughout our community.
The interior of the new YMCA at 24th and Hilyard is designed with interconnectedness in mind, including views from the cardio area of beautiful Spencer Butte, and visibility from the upstairs down into the aquatics center. Abundant daylight through skylights and windows to nearly all the interior spaces within the building will offer a further connection to nature.
The new Y has been designed locally by PIVOT Architecture. Local subcontractors and materials will also be used whenever possible.